Crotched Monkey

Crotched Monkey
Isn't he cute

Tuesday 5 November 2013

Minions, Minions, Minions!

Take a look at these minions, aren't they cute? Well, they sure are, I hear you say. But making them-not so cute! The pattern says to use four double pointed needles. Have you ever done that? No, well me neither! Hey, can't be that hard, right. WRONG!!!!
So, I take up my new double pointed needles and cast on two stitches per needle but how do you hold them? How do you stop the stitches falling off, how do you knit with them??????? I went to my trusted fount of all knowledge, Youtube, and watched videos, it looked so easy, surely I could do this. Nope, not a chance. I just couldn't get the hang of it so I got out the circular needles and proceeded with the magic loop system. Even then I really struggled to get it right without having a ladder at each side. So number one minion took much stress, much pulling out, much choice language but I finally finished him. But there were four more of these blighters to make!
So, I get on the phone to my sister to complain and she says hey, just knit them on straight needles and use the mattress stitch to sew them up (gives an almost invisible seam, look for it on Youtube). Duh!
Now you're thinking oh so that made them easier then. Wellllllllll, yes and no. Yes they were now easy to make but no it didn't make it easier because the boredom then sets in. Five bodies, ten arms, ten feet, five overalls, five sets of goggles later and my mind is numb! 
My sister knitted the other set we were commisioned to make and she felt the same so it wasn't just me. So in the film Despicable Me which is where they're from they are evil minions - and in knitting life they are evil minions. 
But dang it they do look so very cute, don't they!

No comments:

Post a Comment